It’s official – Moscow Mules are my new favourite cocktail! They are super easy to make and combine together the wonderful flavours of ginger and citrus to create a totally refreshing drink. The simple base recipe for a Moscow Mule also provides lots of flexibility to add in an ingredient or two creating different flavor combinations, and super fancy cocktails that are sure to impress your family and friends. This Grapefruit Sage Moscow Mule is the perfect combination of spicy and sweet and can be mixed up and enjoyed in a minute!
I’m normally only a summer cocktail drinker, and in the winter I enjoy a nice glass of wine. My love of summer cocktails comes from time at my family cottage, where every summer a new drink emerges as our “cottage drink of the year”. The cottage is shared with about 20 aunts/uncles/cousins/siblings/etc. so there are plenty of opinions to be had on which drink will reign supreme! While we never consciously set out to discover a new drink of the year, without fail, one rises to the top as the fan favourite. Some of our past winners include :
- 2010 : Year of the Martini – chocolate martinis, lemon drop martinis, you name it we tried it that summer!
- 2011 : Year of the Mojito – we were even growing our own mint by the end of the summer!
- 2012 : Year of the Margarita
- 2013 : Year of the Beergarita (try storing enough beer pitchers so 20 people can all have a drink at the same time … ha no wonder this one only lasted one summer, we had beer pitchers hiding everywhere!)
- 2014 : Year of the Sangria
- 2015 : Year of the Sangria – round 2!
- 2016 : Year of the Caesar
- 2017 : Year of the Gin Smash
- My prediction for summer 2018 : Year of the Moscow Mule!
The seed has already been planted for the year of the Moscow Mule. At Christmas during our family gift exchange, we had two sets of Moscow Mule Copper Cups and it was an all out war to win them! I came out victorious and have been “recipe testing” ever since in preparation for summer. It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it! 😉
While we (not so patiently) wait for the snow to melt, weather to warm up, and ice to go out on the lake, I’m taking advantage of some winter flavours to get the cocktail party started early. In these Grapefruit Sage Moscow Mules, the addition of grapefruit helps to cut some of the sweetness of the ginger beer, while the sage enhances the spiciness already present from the ginger. These winter flavours are perfect for a cold day curled up in front of a fire, but are so refreshing they will transition right through summer when it’s 30 degrees (that’s Celsius for my American friends) on the dock!
- 1 cup ginger beer (235mL)
- 4 tbsp grapefruit juice
- 2.5 ounces vodka
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- grapefruit & lime wedge
Fill copper mug with ice, ginger beer, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and vodka.
Garnish with grapefruit & lime wedge and grate fresh ginger on top.