The past two weeks have been -20 degrees EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Today, we finally broke -10 and it was glorious. Words I never thought I’d say … being happy for a -10 degree day just seems so wrong, and yet here I am! 🙂 So with those kinds of temperatures you can bet your life I’ve been hibernating. And cooking. A lot. Because stove heat. There has been a whole heck of a lot of soup happening over here, and I’m not sad about it. After a few trials that just didn’t quite work out, this Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chicken Soup was born, and boy is it good!
I have a couple of goals for myself when I’m in the kitchen creating a new dinner recipe to keep things interesting.
- Include a variety of vegetables
- Sneak a dark leafy green in there whenever possible
- Use as few dishes as possible #ihatewashingdishes
- Make it taste good 😉
This soup nailed all four (only used 4 dishes – cutting board, knife, cast iron pot and ladle … winning)! Not to mention it has all the healthy things going on :
- the original super food : KALE – high in fiber, allllll the vitamins (A, B, C, K), calcium, potassium, magnesium, antioxidants … I mean what doesn’t it have?! All these wonderful things combine together to help lower blood pressure, have anti-inflammatory properties, and protect eyesight (source)
- SWEET POTATO – more fiber and anti-oxidants for ya
- BONE BROTH – newsflash the chicken stock you buy in a tetra-pack at the grocery store is NOT the same as homemade. Broths made from animal bones (vs. water with a bouillon cube thrown in) is SO good for you. Not to mention it tastes a thousand percent better!
Little tip to whip this up in no time on a weeknight – make the chicken in advance! You can bake chicken breasts like I outline in the recipe, or use leftover chicken (like the leftovers from when you make your homemade bone broth!). Here’s the link to the crock pot roasted whole chicken, and crock pot bone broth recipes I love and use all the time. You’ll want to make this up ahead of time and store it in your freezer so you don’t have to resort to grocery store broth … yuck! 😉
Enjoy your big bowl of this yummy healthy goodness friends. If you try out the recipe post a pic and tag me on instagram!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 cups lacinato kale
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
Chop your cooked chicken breasts and set aside (to cook, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes).
Add olive oil to pot on medium heat.
Dice sweet potatoes, yellow onion and leeks and add to pot. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper to pot. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
Add chopped up chicken to pot and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat and add kale. Stir to mix in kale, which will cook from the heat of the soup. Dish up and enjoy!